Built my wife's PC about a year ago. Epox MB with an Athlon, 2 sticks of 256MB RAM, 2 hard drives, DVD drive, and a Radeon 9800SE vid card. Recently when she turns on the PC it usually will not boot and just makes a sound that is kind of an alternating high then low beep. Hitting the reset button will usually cause it to then boot.

Yesterday I pulled off the cover of the case to check out the problem. After checking that the video and memory were seated and all cables were connected, I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on.When power is turned on the case fans spin, the cpu and video card fans also are spinning but nothing else happens. It does not display anything on the monitor. Hitting reset does nothing at all. Everything appears to be getting power, but the boot process just does not seem to be starting. Oddly, the DVD drive will not open it's tray when the button is pushed.

I have tried swapping video cards with a known working one from my kids pc and get the same thing. I have swapped the power connecters on the hard drives and the DVD drive. I have tried disconnecting each hard drive individually and then both hard drives. I have tried booting with just one stick of memory. At this point I am at a loss for what might be wrong. Could the CPU be dead? The motherboard? Or does it sound like a power supply problem?

Jerry