You also, however, forget that several people were indicted for embezzlement
out of the project and that a congressional budget audit made clear that the
books could not be reconciled.

Project Impact was always designed at small grants given to communities to
develop planning.. example:

http://www.fema.gov/regions/vii/1998/98r7n033.shtm

Grants were generally smaller then $250,000.

As an example of their guidelines:

Project Impact is built around 3 basic principles: 1) preventative measures
must be decided at the local level; 2) private sector participation is
vital; and 3) long term efforts and investments in prevention measures are
essential.

The idea of project impact was never "the government provides the plan"
rather it was that the government would provide seed money for the community
to develop a strategic plan.. that was the original proposal in 1994.

As a planning organization, it did do well, but let's not say that it had a
monumental budget before hand.  It was -never- designed to pass around tons
of money, and as we know now, a great deal of the grant money never went
were it was intended (hell, we have a local mayor now congressmen who may
face issues with pilfering some of the money for private projects).

We do need to evaluate what went wrong.  It is important.

Part of the problem is hard to determine.  In 1997, the Army Corp of
Engineers recommended billions of dollars in renovation projects.  The
problem was, too much construction within New Orleans was too close to the
levees for Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi.  The problem as they saw it
was that New Orleans was being excavated for projects and built too close to
current levees as is, and it was "sinking" not only in reference to the
ocean, but in reference to nearby land mass.  So, rebuilding the levees as
they stood would wipe out roadways, result in huge imminent domain fights,
and more then that might not work..

So, the proposal was to create upstream spillways through a split levee
system, to have a "break point" on the inflow of water or a controlled
spilloff to lower the water table.

But the problem is, people everywhere protested.

Wildlife Defense Fund protested; Conservative Taxpayer Network protested;
etc.

Also amongst groups that protested:

PETA, World Wildlife Fund, National Conservation Society, (Left)
Turkey Watch, TaxPayer Network, Government Abuse Hotline (Right)

Hell, some groups devoted page upon page to protesting:

http://www.taxpayer.net/TCS/wastebasket/water/

Now, part of their issues is legit; far too much was going to pork.. but
with so many groups on both sides of the isle protesting the Army Corp
projects, very little actually happened.. and there was not a lot of support
for additional funding for something so unpopular on the far left & far
right.

So, what happens?  The projects don't get finished.

Now, I agree.. a big part of the problem was that the ACE was just throwing
money away on ridiculous projects.  But the real projects that did need to
happen.. alternative spillway construction, upstream lock & flooding
systems, etc. make both better sense as well as a much more effective
solution then right now.

Try to redo the levees around New Orleans.. it's a bowl.. no matter how much
money we threw at it, the project couldn't even be planned; something they
admitted to in the 1997 proposal.. the solution had almost nothing to do
with tearing up New Orleans and redoing the levees... while that's possible
now, you try doing that before hand.. say, go to the state:  "Hi, we need to
redo the levees on the Mississippi and Ponchatrain.  So, we need to annex a
few hundred acres of the city, btw, we will also need to destroy the
Superdome you just put a few hundred million into, and we will need to wipe
out two of the larger highways while we build a secondary levee and prepare
for the destruction of the older first levee"

Yeah.  That had about as much community support as offering to randomly
shoot people's dogs for sport.

CW