> Since you started this thread:
>
> Is plasma or LCD better:
>
> If you are buying HDTV.
>
> If HDTV is not an issue.
>
> And to show my ignorance, does both plasma and LCD come in HDTV?

Here is my take on the whole LCD/Plasma debate (I'm in the UK so HDTV is a
moot point for the next couple of years as terrestrial digital services
won't be offering HDTV until at least 2012 and Sky will have HDTV next year
at a premium). For non-HD streams plasma screens, to me, look *way* better
than the LCDs you see in stores. The colours on LCDs have far too much
contrast, yet the blacks are more dark grey or brown. Everything else in
between looks over saturated too. When they display titles or 'dogs' (the
graphics on things like MTV and other station, I have no idea why they are
called that) seem to have very pixilated edges. The plasmas showing the same
picture are much much nicer to look at, and just look 'right'.

However high resolution LCD monitors being driven from a PC/Laptop can look
pretty good as well, even if they are just scaling a standard SD TV station
(There are some nice Sony Vaio all-in-one TV/Monitor/PC systems going
about).

Some stores are now showing HD displays driven either by a SFF PC/Laptop
(this is what Dixon's is using) or a proprietary Japanese HDTV Hard Drive
unit (this is what John Lewis is using for their Panasonic HDTV plasma
screens). I've seen both plasma and LCDs being driven by these types of
devices and both look really really good, I have to admit that I was quite
impressed (I'm not easily impressed by what people like Dixon's display,
probably because most of it is crap).