-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Boswell
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:21 AM
To: The Hardware List
Subject: Re: [H] New Intel 775 Pin Motherboards

On 18 Sep 2005, at 17:48:520, Chris Reeves wrote:

> Socket 775 is dead, in the longterm that is.  In that saying, it is
> a very
> short life socket.  Right now, it is your only choice.  By early
> next year,
> it is expected to be replaced, making it one of the shorter lived
> sockets
> that I can remember.

The Conroe samples I've seen thus far are S775, which suggests the
socket is good into 2007 at least.

> Now, I see from what you're telling me you're buying AGP based
> Pentium IV
> 775 (so 865PE modified type boards).  That's fine, lots of people
> use those
> (though Intel specifically says it is not a supported design).  So,
> you
> lower your power consumption by going with an AGP card, and even
> high end
> AGP cards like the 6800Ultra don't use the kind of power that a
> X850, 7800,
> etc. use.

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/geforce-7800gtx/power.gif

I'd say thats 'the kind of power' the X850XT and 7800GXT use.
It's a little lower under load, but it's idle (non-3d) power draw is
higher!

-_-_
James Boswell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]