On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Hayes Elkins wrote:

How many companies do you work for that are ok with an extra day of downtime?

What do you suggest? Format everything?

You havn't been reading my posts. I will refer you to my posts on this topic, which directly answer that question already.

Symantec has released 0-day response cleaning tools for 95% of new threats since the day we started using SAVCE in 1999. Only time we had a threat not locked down in 24 hours was ILOVEYOU. Killing exchange for a day while waiting for the imminent fix sounds a lot better than formatting everything.

Melissa and ILOVEYOU were solved with sendmail header checks for my company (Which I no longer work at, that was awhile ago). Not as easy to do with newer virus's, but it didn't cause more than a few hours of downtime for our exchange admin.

Christopher Fisk
--
BOFH Excuse #198:
Post-it Note Sludge leaked into the monitor.