Thanks for the reassurance, my SS#, bank account info etc. is on that drive and I agree it's unlikely anybody would want to impersonate or rip off someone as poor as me. It just makes me feel a little out of control not being able to secure the drive before it gets returned. If I could afford it I'd take a hammer to it and toss it in the trash.

FORC5 wrote:

had this discussion with my bro inlaw and he called maxtor and they assured him
the first thing they do is clean the drives. They get too many of these things in
to poke around, unless I imagine they got one from Bill, Huge or Bush >:-}
Fred
I have been shying away from maxtors lately.
wd and Seagate for me, love Hitachi but with no advance RMA, that sucks.

At 10:51 AM 2/21/2006, Stan Zaske Poked the stick with:
About a year ago a 4 month old WD 2000JB went bad on me so while I was waiting
for a replacement drive I bought one of the then new Maxtor 250 gig drives with
16 megs of cache. I thought that was very cool to have double the cache!
Anyway, I got my WD back and it's been running fine ever since but now the
Maxtor has gone bad. Just out of the blue my system got real sluggish and when
I rebooted it wouldn't load XP. I was still able to use GRUB to get into Linux
but Windows was a no-go.

I RMA'ed it today and was wondering if anybody knows of a way to save/erase the
information on the drive before it goes back? The drive is completely
inaccessible (AFAIK) and when I installed it into another box it stopped the
POST and I was even unable to get into the BIOS. Remove the drive and
everything returns to normal. Has anybody ever had this problem with some
success accessing the drive?  TIA