At 09:46 AM 4/6/2006, Chris Reeves typed:
There are, however, numerous add-ons that do copy plenty to  RAMDISK before
working.

Sure there are. Everyone that creates a plugin thinks their apps must install to the RAMDISK. Heck I even copy my Favorites to the RAMDISK on bootup but is it req'd? I don't think so.

What slows it down isn't a slow optical drive, necessarily, it's the amount
of drivers and items that build in.  For those of us that just use
"universal" type BART discs, with all drivers we might potentially need, the
load time can be sucky, no matter what you do.

That's the catch22 "all drivers we might potentially need". Once we do that it's more like we're installing Windows versus just booting an existing OS but that's also a caveat of the beast. We never know what drivers are needed for the system we've not yet seen & are asked to fix so we're damned if we do have almost all the drivers that we can think of or we're damned if we don't. Maybe we need 2 BartPE disks with one with just the basic driver set that comes with PE Builder & another with a much wider assortment of driver just in case?

   Wayne D. Johnson
Ashland, OH, USA 44805
<http://www.wavijo.com>