Hello all,

I was at a friends house last night working on their computer. They had a virus on the computer that I knew of and because of AOL and a Norton Def update on March 15th the Internet stopped working. After calling a special Symantec hot line for this fix I was able to get back on and download the removal tool for the virus. I ran Spybot in Safe Mode and cleaned up a bunch of spy ware along with the system startup listing. After the reboot the computer still runs very slow. Login from the XP screen takes about 5 to 7 min. After you let it sit for a while then things seem to speed up a little but this is a 3.0 ghz machine. Ram is not a problem but when I watch Task Manager the processor usage runs no lower then 50% and usually peaks about 90% but never drops below that. When looking at the process list the CPU usage does not seem to add up to 100% but I am assuming that it should. In fact the System Idle Process runs anywhere from 50 to 90%. There is nothing I can see that is taking up all this processor time. I have been reading about these rootkit viruses and the thread about malware. Could this be what I am experiencing???

TIA,

Rob