That sounds like the Achilles heel for the brick that was the Motorola StarTac. Even after cracking my LCD by having the bag of CD's it's was clipped to smack it into a concrete floor, the phone was otherwise un-damageable.

Hell I threw it up 2 stories to fall on concrete trying to destroy it when the insurance co. insisted they wanted the core back as part of the replacement (after charging $50). Nothing more than a few dibits in the plastic, gotta love the old ABS plastic cells. Try that with any modern cell with the possible exception of the ruggedized motorola NextTel sells. =)