I've spent the weekend playing with Vista after hearing all the perks and the
like from those touting it at the Microsoft meeting here in KC on Thursday.

The fundamental problem with Vista is one that I don't think is addressed by
Microsoft's continual talk of "new features being added".  That isn't the
problem.  The problem is that for power users, so many of the common tasks are
made cumbersome to impossible that it defeats a big part of the purpose of
upgrading.

I know of numerous users who keep the base icons out on the desktop (my
computer, my network, etc.) along with whatever they most frequent.  That's a
staple within older versions of windows, so the fact that they are there makes
it handy.  The display properties tool within Windows Vista is garbage.  Theme
management and creation, as well as icon assignment is virtually non-existant,
it simply cannot be done.  So, instead, users find themselves dragging icons
out of the menus onto a desktop.  Yes, I get it, Microsoft has so greatly
improved the tools that you don't need them.  But what Microsoft forgets is
that familiarity is part of it's advantage.  While it is great that they move
toward an entirely new lookout, the ability to "roll back" for those who are
very familiar with current environments will be a major perk.  The failure to
provide for it- which so far is exactly where it is going, creates a distance
between the user and the OS.

Admittedly, I'm someone who likes to pop open a CMD prompt every now and again
to fish things out.  I grew up on DOS and I still find it at times to be
incredibly easier and more efficient to do what I want to do.

Vista takes some of that frustration to all new levels.  Because of the way in
which the management interface and updates are handled, the user is provided
minimal information about what kind of updates are being downloaded and what
the purpose of them are.  To get that kind of information requires a user to
manually do so, click INFORMATION and then MORE.

Is Aero Cool?  Yes, and there are many things that I find interesting about
Vista that I think are the right directions.

But fundamentally, outside of a change in interface, has Microsoft really
altered anything so groundshaking that I say "wow" ?

No, not really.  In fact, many of the base components remain completely
untouched which makes Vista a Microsoft-Bob like Shell on top of Traditional
XP.  Yes, I realize there is more to it then that, but let's cover what is not,
and will not change:

* File System remains NTFS. Yes, there are new options for Disk Encryption -
but be prepared, as MS explained to us in a tech meeting, if you use it and
your motherboard or another device fails, your data is WORTHLESS.  They will
never issue a recovery or backdoor because doing so would make the entire
technology a joke, so if you use it, be prepared, you better be backing up.
This makes it not nearly as convenient, safe or movable as current drive
encryption which can allow for a drive to move to a different PC, etc. provided
the right codes.

* Drive management (WDM) while changed does not provide a more open or
user-oriented standard, rather, it further closes the driver standard with
regards to authorized drivers, which puts smaller firms innovation in the realm
of hardware on the real backburner.

* Widgets.  Be prepared, Widgets are cool, and there will be tons of them, but
as a matter of seriousness, does an analog clock on your desktop really help
you that much?  Poker?  Sodoku?  Yeah, maybe not.  Microsoft's guide toward
widgets and RSS is a neat throw out toward Apple's similar technology within
MacOS.  In fact, a lot of Vista seems to really work hard to BE MacOS.  The
problem is, it isn't a very good MacOS, and the interface things we loved about
XP are sadly missing.

* Management and control functionality are scattered and poorly organized.
Within Windows XP, a right click on your desktop puts all options for desktop
properties in one application.  Within Vista, it brings up a "personalize" menu
featuring five different programs you can chose from, each of which handling
one specific function (resolution/theme/screen saver) This turns a function
that took one click within Windows XP into a minimum of three clicks in order
to view desktop properties.  Does this really simplify things?

* Speaking of that, even within the current beta we received (5348, there may
be a newer one, I'm sure there is, this is what they were handing out however)
the device manager is still almost entirely worthless.  Even within Windows XP
64, unknown devices are at least labeled somewhat (Epson; FDC-GOLD; etc.) for
you to find drivers.  Within Vista, it all still remains "unknown USB" real
helpful that is.  I'm sure this part will change.

* Vista's shutdown/reset routine is laughable.  By maximizing the start menu
real estate the "hibernate" button takes, and having a swing out present
reset/shutdown, it is just confusing.  The swing out menu is started by a small
sliver - less then 1/4 the size of the large "hibernate" button, which, as a
nice touch, looks exactly like the "shutdown" button from WindowsXP.

* DRM.  Enough said.

I'm glad that Microsoft danced us up and talked to us about how great Vista
would be, and how it would really drive the market.  Right now, based on what I
have in front of me, I don't see it.  With Windows XP betas, Win2k, even
Windows 95, you walked out of it saying "There are at least 5-10 features that
are fundamental OS changes that significantly impact work".  Vista isn't any of
those.  Unlike XP which really changed the way for USB connectivity, brought
NTFS home, as well as significant improvements in networking and drive
management.. Vista just doesn't seem to bring a single "functionality" change
to Windows that makes you say "this is a must have".

I keep getting email from MS that intones that hey, it's not functionally
complete.  Ok, fine.  But unless the functionality is a total scrap of the UI
as well as a change in the file structure, mapping and networking functionality
which right now seem like a throwback in usability, I don't know how adding
more things helps this frankenstein.

CW