I see a downward trend in loyalty paying off for the consumer. Just switched from my bank of 15 years because they lied about an account feature "we'll enable that & refund the charge, sorry", then jerked me after 3 times in the same year from lack of said feature being "enabled" only to be told in the end "we've never had the feature and are not going to remove the charge this time even if it means loosing your business".

Rot in hell BoA formerly Fleet, formerly Natwest, formerly Jersey Central.

So yes it's not loyalty that is the problem but rather greedy, deceptive companies not earning the loyalty.

Thane Sherrington wrote:
I read an interesting quote today:

"Loyalty is dead, the experts proclaim, and the statistics seem to bear them out. On average, US corporations now lose half their customers in five years, half their employees in four, and half their investors in less than one. We seem to face a future in which the only business relationships will be opportunistic transactions between virtual strangers."

I have noticed that customer loyalty is falling off here (but not off a cliff), but I blame this on the fact that most businesses don't care about their customers, and would rather make $10 right now than $5 today, and $5 next year, and so on for the next five years. Most people have been burned so many times by so many companies that they now don't trust anyone (although they do seem to buy into stupid advertising tricks.) Are other people noticing a downward trend in customer loyalty?