yeah, Steam is a mess. HL2 Ep 1 wasn't so special anyway, I don't think I'll bother with it any more.

Nope, didn't install any Nero roll-back software that I'm aware of, but Nero itself seems to carry a lot of bloat. I'll have to check that....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hayes Elkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 12:31 PM
Subject: RE: [H] curing system slowdown

Steam is exactly that. A steaming pile of shit. Legal owners of half life should get the hacked versions that have steam taken out and recompiled - MUCH faster and no monkey business.

XP doesn't slow down without a logical explanation, your problem should be fixable. I would first look at basic things like what's loading up in your msconfig. Check services, startup, and HKLM\...\Run.

You didn't install that roll-back software from nero did you? That may be messing things up.