What is the general culprit when a system experiences slowdowns and stalls? I'm running XP on a P4 3.0 system with 2G PC3200RAM. a couple of months ago this thing zipped along. Then it started going slower and slower, taking up to 2 minutes to finish booting up. Now when I do a simple multi-task thing, such as click on IE while burning a CD in Nero, it takes up to a minute for the IE screen to load. When it finally does, it's slow as molasses. Sometimes it freezes, and I have to hit the reset button. I'm resetting the computer up to 4 or 5 times in a 3 hour session. Can't be good.

I've run spybot and virus software, and everything is clean. MSCONFIG has nothing enabled, although that didn't help boot-up time at all. Is it time to reinstall XP?

I really am anxious to upgrade but I want a Core 2 Duo system with SLI and there aren't yet any boards available. Don't know if I can hang on till the end of the year...