jmaccrar, Chris, Hayes, Ben, Bryan,

 I do realize that most of you have moved on to wireless lans.
I have NOT. I still do not find wireless secure. Excuse me.
Yes, I do see that wireless has gotten better.  Not "better"
enough for me yet.  I do accept that I might be a late acceptor.

I have a wired lan.  Will continue to have a wired lan.  No plans to
change in the immediate future. Hell, I'm still doing my cat5e drawings
for this house!

Hayes,
 Noticed and visited your link re DLink.  Was a wireless solution.
Did find the DGL-4100, which seems to be the "wired" brother to your
rec.  It may be the solution. Really hate to retire a very
solid RT-314. But, ... :)

Can I hire someone with Nero and a fast broadband connection for a
download and record of a bootable CD/ISO?  I'm willing to kiss a w2K
machine goodbye and give that Clark Connect business a whirl.  Read
the quick install/start-up pdf a read.  Does not look too painfull to me.
I'd even think about getting a <40GB eide hd for (machX) if doable,
and let it be CC/RHLinux.

Great suggestions!  Days of thoughts!  This group is tops!
Best,
Duncan

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:00 , jmaccraw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>For something that simple just pickup a linksys wrt54GS ver 4 or lower
>on ebay (or Asus, Belkin, etc...),load openWRT on it, and leave anything
>beyond fw/Nat-router to another system.
>
>Less power consumption, space, headaches.
>
>dhs wrote:
>> I've put together some hdw for a new machine (machx). The intent of this
>> machine is to sit between a dsl router (old) and my lan switch.  I do not
>> yet
>> know what this machine would be, but I do know what I expect it to do.
>> I want it to be a hdw firewall for my lan AND be a "gateway"  or maybe
>> a "proxy" to the dsl router from my lan-side machines.

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net