You can turn off the wireless portion FWIW Duncan! That said WPA is much better than WEP and as a paranoid I do not fear using it if properly set up.

The Netgear RT314 was good hardware (so was the RP114, I have 3 laying around) based on ZyXel's unit but lacks SPI AFAIK. What you are proposing is overkill given solutions like the WRT54GS and Asus w500's with a 3rd party linux firmware, but to each his own...

dhs wrote:
jmaccrar, Chris, Hayes, Ben, Bryan,

 I do realize that most of you have moved on to wireless lans.
I have NOT. I still do not find wireless secure. Excuse me. Yes, I do see that wireless has gotten better. Not "better" enough for me yet. I do accept that I might be a late acceptor.

I have a wired lan. Will continue to have a wired lan. No plans to change in the immediate future. Hell, I'm still doing my cat5e drawings for this house!