All I know is that both my 7200 RPM drives would go
offline randomly and
were extremely hot to the touch when running in
Speedzter 3 enclosures
which are aluminum. Open the cases or set them,
sealed, in airflow from
a 80mm fan, all was well.

For the past 2 years I have been blaming MS Firewire
support until I ran
both off a USB 2.0 controller with the same "Delayed
Write Failure"
resulting from drive dying and going offline. Of
course SMART does not
work through USB so I can't read the running temps.

Personally I think the heat affected the bridge boards
worse because
both drives work fine outside those cases, one drive
even works in the
Speedzter case if I leave the cover off, and one
bridge board has
definitely given up the ghost since no drives spin up
attached to it.

YMMV but I will look for better cooling/bigger case
(hence the addonics
enclosure) or use 5400 RPM drives next time.

Harry McGregor wrote:
> I disagree with this...
>
> I tend to like the no-fan external HD setups, as
long as they are a
> direct contact aluminum case.  I have over a half
dozen deployed without
> issues, including one attached to a co-loed server
to data backups
> (remote backups to the drive from outside the
co-lo).  64F in the room,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146306

> I look at it this way, it might not be quite as good
at cooling as one
> with a working fan, but it's far better than one
with a dead fan.  Most
> of the ones with fans use tiny 40mm fans that die
quickly around here
> (very dry in Tucson Az).  I would rather deal with a
slight cooling
> issue the entire life of the drive instead of a
major cooling issue
> after 6 months or so.
>
>                               Harry
>
> Anthony Q. Martin wrote:
>
>> Yeah, if you intend to leave them on 24/7.  If you
only have it on

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=312100