----- Original Message ----- From: "Wayne Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: [H] Weird Thumb Drive Problem

I've never seen this before & you would think I would with C, D being local HDs, E, F, & G being optical drives, H, I are mapped drives

Starting back in the Windows 95 days where the only drive other than the hard drive was a CD ROM and possibly a Zip Drive, I assigned the Drive Letter R to all CD ROMS and when there were two optical drives I assigned Q to the writer. I did this for all computers I worked on and for all new computers I built. I explaned to my customers that the future would bring additional drives and there should be plenty of space between the group, A,B,C,D etc. and R for those additional drives. This would ensure that the optical drives never got reassigned due to adding other drives in the future.

That decision was badly needed and the timing on it was perfect. Now we have jump drives, external hard drives and card readers, just to name a few. So far I have not seen any computer I assigned optical drive letters of Q and/or R run out of lower letters and the optical drive have to be bumped up in the alphabet.

Most of the Windows 95 computers I assigned the CD ROM drive to R did not remain in use so long that they needed that space between D and Q. The customers got use to the arrangement and the transition to a new computer was easy, if they had me build their next new computer. This is just one of the many things I have done over the years to keep things simple and require less changes to adapt to new drives and technologies.

Now to the subject at hand. Is it easier for a thumb drive to simply take an open Letter Assignment if it does not have to bump an optical drive up a letter?

Chuck