At 11:55 PM 04/10/2006, j maccraw wrote:
If you use SI's (now M$) process explorer you can
track down the
thread/dll that is eating the cpu cycles WITHIN the
process & try to
diagnose from there.

It's services.exe that's chewing up the majority of the time. I've tried the following:
Boot to safe mode - no change
Boot to MS Config Diagnostic Boot - no change (only one service is running here.)
Updated the following drivers: video, sound, network, chipset - no change
Deleted the following components and rebooted to reinstall: IDE controller, video, sound, network, CPU - no change
Tried Windows repair install - no change.

I don't understand process explorer well enough to use it proficiently, unfortunately. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on it? I know there is a video training course from SI, but I'm trying to avoid the $300 charge. :)