That's the problem, XP isn't worth $199. Shouldn't have to pay more than half that for the retail version. What a rip!

Ben Ruset wrote:
Why should you? You didn't pay retail price for that copy of XP. It's sold at a discount and tied to the hardware. And the hardware vendor is the person who has to support the OS, not Microsoft.

You want to shift your OS around to new PC's? Spend the $199 and buy the boxed copy of XP.

Anthony Q. Martin wrote:
I kinda think this sucks, though. If I bought an OEM computer and I decide to trash it, I feel as though I ought to be able to use the OS on a new system. Is that unfair to MS?