Password protecting your laptop HDD is sufficient to
keep someone from
booting/mounting it. To crack that requires a ~$2000
hardware solution.

AIN/Autorun should always be disabled.

Using Syskey via floppy or boot time password in
combination with 15+
character user passwords will keep someone from
cracking your passwords
& makes EFS a viable alternative to 3rd party
encryption of user files.

WiFi is hard to firewall externally, but LAN is not if
you take a simple
hardware firewall with you & plug it in between laptop
& LAN. You could
just use a WAP and have your own firewalled WIFI if
LAN jack is near
enough to needed coverage area.

I do all this when I go on vacation since I don't
trust the hotel LAN
and they charge for their WIFI anyway, never mind the
issue of "loosing"
my laptop to a thief. Of course I go beyond HDD
password, Syskey, EFS &
long Windows passwords for my personal data but that's
because I want to
be secure from even big brother snooping.

Brian Weeden wrote:
> I will be doing some traveling in the summer to
places where I have at
> least a little worry about organizations/people
trying to sneak
> keyloggers/trojans/etc onto my laptop. So I am
starting o think about
> how I would secure it  Here are my thoughts so far.
>
> There are several ways you would be vulnerable, and
thus probably need
> a combination of solutions to be as secure as
possible.

> Sources of Vulnerability
> 1. Inserted CD/DVD/USB/Floppy with
executable/autorun
> 2. Software spyware installed via #2 or after
hacking an admin account
> 3. External penetration over internet/local LAN
> 4. Hardware keylogger
>
> Possible Solutions:
> 1. Disable autorun and removable drives
>
> 2. Encrypt entire hard drive
> Unlike encrypting just the data, this would prevent
installation of
> any bad software without first encrypting the drive.
 I have used
> Truecrypt before to encrypt just data but not sure
how to use it or
> another solution to encrypt an entire drive from
boot through
> shutdown.
>
> 3. Good firewall and/or NAT
> 4. ?
>
> So are there any major sources of vulnerability that
I am missing?
> Any idea how to protect against someone sneaking in
and installing a
> hardware keylogger?  Would mounting a WinPE or
Ubunutu image each time