> Ok...I just want to make sure I understand you guys.  You're basically
> saying that I can go buy a new mobo that has PCI-X for graphics that I can
> drop my P4 3.0 GHz CPU into and then later upgrade that puppy to dual/quad
> core?  I'd have to upgrade both memory,  graphics card, and PS right?  Only
> memory at first, though, right?
>
> I'm asking because i'm starting to get a little tired of sucking so much
> hind tit, these days.  However, I need my upgrades to be very, very
> meaningful, or such I say impactful.

Not unless your current CPU is a S-478, in which you're kinda SOL since the
Socket 478 PCI-E mobos aren't all that great.

A nice "go between" mobo would be the Asrock 775 VSTA, which takes an LGA775
CPU (both P4s and Core 2s) and gives you the flexibility of AGP + PCI-E, DDR +
DDR2. It won't overclock quite as well as say an eVGA 680i or a Gigabyte DS3,
but people seem to like it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

So I guess you could say no the memory and graphics upgrades. What PSU do you
have currently? If it's a 20-pin with a strong 12V rail, you should be alright
since you can get MOLEX -> 6-pin PCI-E adapters to sate a more power hungry PCI-
E card and most 24-pin mobos don't mind running with just 20-pins. You'll have
to watch out for PCI-E graphics cards that don't have a separate power
connector though, since they'll try to suck power from the unconnected 4 ATX
pins.

I guess one last thing would be that it might be beneficial to dump your older
RAM now before RAM prices start to dip even further. I did exactly that in Dec
and got top dollar for my Crucial DDR400 - switched to Kingston DDR2-667.

Hope this helps :)

--
Jin-Wei Tioh
"Without C, there'd be BASI, PASAL, and OBOL"