If I recall correctly you can't play the game without a Steam account to validate and activate it. When my hardrive died and I replaced it when I reinstalled the game with my legitimate CD key Steam complained saying my key was already in use. This is with the same Steam account. My best guess is that Steam had something on my former hardrive that was missing @ that point and that I was trying to rip them off. Oh course, all of this may have changed in the last couple years. I ended up giving it away to a young man @ work who wanted to play Counterstrike with some friends.

j maccraw wrote:
You didn't create a stream account when you 1st
installed? You shouldn't need anything more than that to install w/o the CD over the
internet.

zaske wrote:
I bought HalfLife2 from Walmart for $40 and my 4
month old WD hardrive
died. I tried to reinstall HL2 and Steam cried like
an ass raped beotch
telling me that my cd key was already in use. No
Duh! In the end they
wanted me to cut my barcode from the box and send it
with $10 to get my
game reactivated. Screw Valve, I bought the game and
I will never buy
another of their DRM crap product! Long live Warez!

j maccraw wrote:
Something specific Stan?

I know I was not happy with it at HL2 release and
there have been troubles with availability....

All I can say is after a year of my game box being
dead, I simply signed on to my steam account & had
a full patched
version of HL2
downloaded & installed without the need for my
discs. This is DRM done
right
in my book though I don't care for it's regular
calls home to validate.
In fact the call home method is one aspect of
Alcohol
120% I really hate when I launch it from the wrong
machine and have to
go online
to swap the active copy back to the right machine.

zaske wrote:
Speak of the devil and he will appear. Steam is
another DRM disaster!
<snip>

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.