Maybe I should clarify my definition of "good"...dual-core, 2GB, with at
least 6600GT level graphics. I probably wouldn't deploy Vista to any machine
with fewer than 2 cores.

> Was a pain in the beginning even
> getting AV sw. Word is in the fall there is going to be SP1 which will
> be a full kernel rebuild so how good is it , really.

Only because they want the kernel to be the same version as Windows Server
2008--it eases compatibility concerns and makes patch development/testing a
whole lot easier.

> MS needs better backward compatibility with SW but the reality is they
> want you to buy all new. Hate Office 07 and will not run it in my main
> box. NEW not compatible extension with old programs  format. WTF  M$

If the break with backwards compatibility is done for a good
reason--security, performance, features, and/or flexibility--I'm good with
it. That is, within reason, of course. Office 2007 defaults to the non-OOXML
format anyway...