If I have an IBM server die, they don't accept any other diags besides their own. This is hardly a Dell specific thing.

Joe User wrote:
Hello Ben,

Wednesday, September 12, 2007, 6:01:35 AM, you wrote:

Well, go try to get a drive replaced by Maxtor, WD, etc. without running
their diags and see how far you get.

Does it really kill people to boot the Dell diags and run through the stupid thing?

The point here is that SMART diag info should work just as well. If a
drive doesn't have SMART then I would be happy to run some other diag.
However, if the drive has SMART it should suffice.