Winterlight wrote:

 when dual displays are becoming more the norm than the exception.

Really, where is that?

Something I read in Maximum PC, I believe. They are not the norm, though, just a trend going in that direction. With LCDs being light weight, spacing saving, and low power and cost, it makes lots of sense. Most PCs have two monitor connectors on the video card, too.

BTW, do those of you who are using dualies have any distance between your displays?

I have been using multi monitors ever since they became available in Win 98. My first setup was in Win 98 with a 17 inch, and a 15 inch monitor. How you set up dual displays will depend a lot on how you use them. Personally, I like to use the primary display for normal use, and open up my schedule on the second, and maybe a browser window, and password program, and a VM.
I tend to be in and out of different apps all day, so I don't have a strong rule on what goes where, which is part of the reason, I think, on why I like the two screens to be the same size and resolution.

Do you want to merge them into a single viewing area, or two distinctly different views.

I like just one big canvas. So, I have basically 1600 x 1200 pixels on the left, and 1600 x 1200 on the right and the both serve as my desktop. So, which is that - single viewing area or two distinctly different views?

The best video cards for multi monitor are still Matrox. I have tried them all, and nobody comes close to Matrox for driving dual displays.

It's been a long long time since I used a Matrox card. What makes them so good at dual displays? Also, it's curious that no one else has tried to mimic them after all of these years.

3D, and games, of course, not so good, but 2D, video editing, multi monitor they are still very good.... but too expensive for what they are.
I didn't even know they were still around!

Right now I am using three displays shared among two PCs. A Dell WS 2407 for my primary computer on a ATI XT800 AIW running at 1920 X1200 with a digital connection. The second monitor is a CRT Mitsubishi 2040 on a Matrox PCI G450 analog running at 1600 X 1200. The 2040u has a built in switch to support two computers so I share that monitor with my secondary media PC.

The secondary PC uses two dual head G450s and has it's own it's own Mitsubishi 2040u. I have my monitors setup in a kind of curve shaped... the 2407 directly in front, the 2040 to my right but cocked at a angle, and then the secondary PCs 2040u on my right. I use a stand up desk and this works very well. I am planning on purchasing the 27 inch, or 30 inch Dell soon.

Very interesting. Hadn't thought about using three screens between two PCs. I like that idea, as I plan to have two PCs at home (after I quiet down the old PC, that is).

No matter what you use go get Ultra monitor at www.ultramon.com it has everything windows should have for dual display.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I just loaded the new beta nVidia drivers. So far so good. I'm running both sammys at 1600x1200 with both being stable...no flickering or blinking of any kind on the "suspect" monitor. Now if I could just get them to look halfway similar I'd be in soup city.