They laugh and say BFD because they have no
competition since there is no common
carrier access for cable unlike POTS & DSL services.
We're suffering here with
one of the few surviving local cable co's that have a
20GB/mo cap @ 3Mb for $49
or you can get same speed no cap on DSL for $39 from
Verizon.

It's a shame that most vendors put that signal status
page on their modems but
the cable co's never use it. All I kept hearing was
"it's green on my end.",
"What status page?", or "That's not a reliable
indication of signal strength!"
when I was right all along.

Funny that in the early days "line men" would not hook
anything else up to the
modem's drop and tended to leave out "entertainment
filters" for fear of causing
problems, now they just tack it on anywhere in the
house. Of course that could
be because now they use unskilled contractors and
slightly better skilled repair
techs. The advanced techs that finally came out and
solved my problem had
nothing good to say about the normal techs and even
less good to say about
contractors.

Wayne Johnson wrote:
> At 22:39 10-03-2007, DHSinclair typed:
>> I am reminded of the old engineering saw of "the
squeaky wheel gets the
>> grease."  I do know "squeaky wheel."
>
> The other thing one can do is tell them that you'll
take your business
> elsewhere.

> I'm a geek that loves to tweak.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?