All I know is when Steam bitched my X850XT's v7.6
driver was out of date I
loaded Catalyst v7.9 which screwed HL2 so bad it would
not run at all even
though other games worked (after reconfiguring them,
weird).

Put v7.6 back on, no problems and I'm there for a
while.

Scott Sipe wrote:
> Not sure if this is new Catalyst drivers or
something else--I started
> playing oblivion again a couple days ago (after a
several month break)
> and updated my drivers for x1900xt to the most
current Catalyst.

> I started getting graphical distortions almost
immediately in
> Oblivion--messed up polygons, large miscolored blobs
appearing, etc--the
> usual. Took me several hours to figure out
(uninstalling oblivion+mods,
> checking system clock settings, etc) that the
current fan settings seem
> to be WAY too conservative--I used ATI Tool to
change the card's thermal
> settings--kicks the fan on earlier and harder, and
it works absolutely
> fine now--in fact, I can overclock it.
>
> I DO have a custom fan--the Accelero x2--but never
had this problem
> before the latest drivers. Anyone seen anything
similar?