If you arent doing any heavy audio/video encoding or have a desire to run a
virtualized operating system I'd get a better dual-core instead of a quad.

-Tharin O.

Brian Weeden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I've finally decided to upgrade my main
system from the Althon 64
3000+ and nForce4 mobo that have served me so well for the past couple
years.

I definitely going Intel for the first time in a long time but can't
decide whether it is worth it for the Quad core as opposed to the Dual
core.  I am looking at both the Core2Dou E6650 and the Quad core
Q6600.  The Core2Dou is $170 on Newegg while the QuadCore is $285.

It would be going into my main PC which is use for work (some
numerical simulation), video rendering, and gaming.  I guess the
question comes down to how much multiple cores would help.  From what
I have seen, only a few games support 4 cores and not that many more
support 2 cores.  I already have an ATI X1950XT that I won't be
replacing for at least another year so that might end up being the
limiter on gaming anyways.  All I know is right now the Athlon 64 is
the bottleneck.

I know certain video/audio encoders support 4 and it will help there
but I don't do that much.  And the numerical simulations I currently
use are not multi-core aware.  The budget is tight this time around
which I guess is why I'm banging my head so hard about that last $100.

I guess the bottom line is does everyone think that $100 for 2 more
cores is a good long-term investment?

--
Brian Weeden