I'm pleased to have gotten down to one laptop, two low power dual core
workstations (<150w according to my kill-a-watt), an htpc and the vm server.

In total I think spent about $1400 building the server but it was totally worth
it because of all the different roles it serves.

I have also begun putting virtualization to use for a few clients of mine. One
had a fifteen year old server that was running an accounting program on several
dumb terminals, the type with the monochrome monitors with amber or green text.
I was able to change it into a vm with access via ssh over their lan. A
non-profit that I provide volunteer IT support for was able to run multiple vms
on two good workstations that were donated, essentially behaving like a
terminal server, in order to better utilize some of their older equipment that
the rest of the staff have to use in their offices. Another business has a
chain of dry cleaning stores that run DOS, lantastic 6, and a custom POS
program on their computers. After setting up MS Virtual PC on the owner's
computer with several DOS VMs, he can now emulate the same setup in his stores
on one modern desktop in his office without even rebooting.

I'm trying to improve on my skills to setup thin clients based on virtual
machines instead of Terminal services. If an end user manages to crash their vm
you just reboot it and none of the other machines are phased by it.

-Tharin O.

Brian Weeden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Tharin, I think you just upped the
ante for all the computer geeks on
this list.  Awesome man.