I didn't use it up until just a month ago so I have no personal
experience with it when it came out.  But my experience over the last
few weeks has been very good.  All the 5 games played flawlessly with
no crashes or problems (unlike Bioshock).  And they ran pretty well on
my 2 year old system.

Again, it seems from my limited experience the benefit is in the auto
patching, integration with the community, and stability of the code.

--
Brian Weeden