Degraded performance IMHO is very rare because when any of the electronics fail it stops working. Sounds like you have a centimeter of dust covering the thing. Time to clean out the dust bunnies my friend! Happy turkey day!

James Maki wrote:
First, so glad to be back on the list! I was really missing the posts.

Now, I have a PCI-e x16, Gigabyte Radeon X600 video card that is giving me
some problems. I have had to underclock to prevent artifacts and Civ 4 from
crashing my system. So, I am looking for a new card (for Christmas?) and am
befuddled by all the choices and varieties. Most of the hardware review
sites focus on the gaming community. Other than Civ 4, I do little gaming.
Perhaps a new game a Christmas will peak my interest.
I am currently running a dual monitor setup with a 19" LCD (dvi)in landscape
mode and a 15" (VGA) in portrait mode. Tom's Hardware list had a chart with
models from ATI and nVidia groups according to performance and suggested
getting a new model ONLY if you could jump at least 3 groups. My question
is, with my seemingly modest needs and with the X600 meeting thoses needs at
the present, what would be a good "upgrade" for this card? I am running XP
pro with NO intention of a Vista upgrade in the near future. Important
issues would be a card that is not prone to overheating or with a loud fan.
Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]