Duncan,

I have an Antec SX1040BII File Server Tower with the ThermalTake Big Typhoon
mounted on the board perpendicular like you are asking. It is somewhat of a
pain to install. You NEED a large case to use this HSF. It is HUGE and fills
my case.  But with the backing plate and screw down bolts, it seems secure.
I don't move the case around a lot (since it weighs a ton as it is) and
haven't had any problems in almost 2 years and 1 cpu change. Of course, this
is just my experience and YMMV! All I can say it that it keeps my Opteron
185 dual core cool and it is quiet!

If you have the space, want cool and quiet, give it a look.

Jim