Actually, I think it would all work better in a "turn-key" configuration that's designed from the ground up...you need to be able to buy an HD in a box that will let backup software tickle it over USB, then do the physical switching to get the HD & electronics in the circuit, then tell the software "I'm ready", then have the software conduct the backup and when done, signal a close down and disconnect physically. It will never be a foolproof protection plan, but for $300 or so it would be effective personal backup.

DHSinclair wrote:
j,
Perhaps we just exist in different universes.
I was just trying to explain to Anthony howtodoit.
I know you are an X10 fan-boy. Fine.
I'm not a double-E, but I do know how to switch
both AC and DC.  "Clapper" was just a reference.
It certainly is BAD. But, it comes back year after
year about this time......so I latched it..... :)
If X10 gives you the control you desire, use it.
Some of us just do not think X10 is that spiffy or
cost effective. That's all.
Best,
Duncan