There is a new VMWare on the way that does support video acceleration. There was a demo video on Youtube awhile back, and it looked really good.

At 11:38 AM 21/12/2007, Chris Reeves wrote:
Unless someone knows or has seen something I haven't, video acceleration capable of hd, or to utilize specific hardware like a tv tuner doesn't exist. Video cards and sound, etc are all emulated and therefore sucky for that purpose.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Brian Weeden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:11:51
To:hwg <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: [H] Building a Virtualization box

I wanted to pick everyone's brain a bit about building a
virtualization machine (vm).

Right now I have 2 machines, my main desktop and my HTPC.  I would
like to consolidate them into one box.  It would be in my office
behind the wall where the A/V rack is for the home theater.  The goal
would be to have 3 VMs running at all times:

1 dedicated to HTPC functions with video out from the card to the A/V rack
Either 1 work XP VM OR 1 gaming Xp VM
1 VM linux web server

The hardware would be an Intel quad-core (probably Q6600), 4GB of
DDR2.  I would like to continue using my Radeon Sapphire X1950XT card
but I think that might be a problem.  It has 2 DVI outputs with HDCP
but I'm not sure how it would work if I tried to game and feed a DVD
at the same time.

Questions I need to get answered before I can pull this off:

- If you install some new software or have another reason to reboot
one of the VM instances
can you just restart it and avoid rebooting the whole machine?

- When you boot up, is there a primary OS that loads and then you run
the different VMs inside of it or do you boot straight to a VM?

- Can you divvy up the resources for running multiple VMs at once so
like each gets a GB of RAM and 2 cores?

- Would I need 2 Video cards, one associated with the HTPC VM and one
associated with the Work/gaming VM?

- If I do need 2 cards, how would that work hardware wise?  Never done
it before in the same box.  Do I just get a board with 2 PCI-Express
slots and slap a card in each?  We're not talking about SLI here - but
two different cards working independently.

--
Brian Weeden