Thanks Tharin O.,
inline below..................
At 16:56 12/24/2007 -0800, you wrote:
All IDE devices/cables are parallel ata. The Blue/gray/black cables you have should be the ATA 66/100 rated cables with 80 conductors/wires. The older style only had 40 but was only good up to ATA 33. Black (far end of cable) is master and gray (middle connector) is slave. You are right about Blue being for the host controller.

Yes, all my research today gets right to this. The funny part is the m/b (bios) does not seem to recognize the hd or the CDROM, though it does seem to use them. Depending on what I ask to be done. Hmm!

Pin 20 should be the one that is plugged on your cables.

Yes, pin 20 is plugged in all the SPARE EIDE cables I own. The problem is that pin-20 is NOT missing on my m/b! Pin-20 is clearly sticking up and staring at me. OK. I am now testing a "modified" EIDE cable. I cut out, dug out sorta, well, trashed a brand new (?) EIDE cable to test this pin-20 business... MS-DOS does not seen the hd any differently. Still 504MB. Have not tested the CDROM on the same cable yet. Still Playing.............. I just think that DOS does not care for a 1083MB hard drive from IBM! I could be real wrong here too!

You might be able to remove it with a pick if it isn't actually molded that way. Newer drives and motherboards have that pin removed and the cables are keyed as such. It was also like that on early compaqs, dells, etc. I remember having lots of pulled cables from those kind of systems and not being able to use them on whitebox motherboards or drives because they weren't keyed. The Tier1's seemed to like have their cables keyed, I guess they couldn't put stuff on backwards at the factory that way.

Been there, done that. Still playing. No not a Compaq, not a Dell, not an HP. I built this turkey all by myself back in 1999. Not a bad thing here. Just some odd stuff I see and do not expect.
Best/Merry Christmas/Noel/Mele Kalikimaka/Feliz Navidad/
Duncan

-Tharin Olsen

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Am I correct:

Old EIDE: Black connector (m/b) - Black connector (master) - Black
connector (slave)

Pata EIDE: Blue connector (m/b) - Gray connector (master) - Black connector
(slave)

Still wondering about the "plugged" pin in the m/b connector.........
Have lots of these.  Can not use them.  My m/b has a pin where it should
not be.
Best,