Some of those drives had a jumper to force the 504mb drive geometry for
compatibility. I imagine you would have spotted this though because it is
normally on the drive label. Is it actually sharing the ide cable with another
drive or is it by itself? Sometimes the older drives had to be jumpered for
"Single" instead of Master.

Obviously a 440BX chipset board should handle a 1gb drive. I think that one was
new enough to go up to the 32gb barrier or possibly the 137gb barrier. If you
enter CMOS utility and use the Auto Detect IDE option does it display the
values it is detecting for the sector, head, cylinder, disk type, etc. ?? Is it
LBA, CHS, or LARGE mode? What happens if you force LBA, CHS, or LARGE and leave
the geometry details set to Auto? Go into FDISK and look under NON-DOS
Partitions (#4 i think)?, anything there? Try using "FDISK /MBR" at the command
prompt of your DOS boot disk to rewrite the master boot record.

It doesn't really matter I suppose, but I'm having trouble understanding why
are  you dealing with DOS and trying to get a "pretty" ESCD table in the first
place? I thought you were gonna run FreeBSD or Linux?? I'm drawing upon neurons
that were formed during late grade school and jr. high. Not quite sure if that
makes me feel young or old. ;)

-Tharin Olsen

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
MS-DOS does not seen the hd any differently. Still 504MB.  Have not tested
the CDROM on the same cable yet. Still Playing..............
I just think that DOS does not care for a 1083MB hard drive from IBM!  I
could be real wrong here too!