Thank you to all who put up with my very many stupid questions!
The old (NAT only) rt-314 router is still alive and well. After many hours of peeking and poking, it is now fully happy and ready for "spare" work should my current router takes a powder.

What was wrong?
-The power brick was dead! Should have been outputting 12.0Vdc. Was outputting 0.774Vdc.
(good thing I saved the original wall-wort!)
-3 of my LAN client's web browsers were locked down too far to allow logon interchange with the router! Found this today with the client connected to the gw_router via telnet! Duh.... now fixed.
-My own knowledge of proper subnet business.

All in all, an interesting problem to solve, and, I've saved a really good "old" gw_router from the bin.
Now, I can clean up the workspace and get back to FreeNAS!

BTW, my conversion to full GBit-over-copper is complete. It works; and here, it is a noticeable improvement. Glad I waited 5 years to do the move. Will never go back to 100baseT unless under duress, or, cuz "that's all I can do!" It is all good.
Thank you all,