I'm not exactly sure. I wasn't home when the power went out and I have had
problems with the NAS not powering down or rebooting after telling it to
manually from the web interface. It never seemed like a big deal then, because
I always ran the device 24/7 and rarely rebooted it. I spent about 2 weeks
using utilities both linux and windows based trying to recover and restore the
missing partition info on drive #2, and scanning all the other 3 drives for
surface and data errors (they all appeared fine). The array should have been
able to function without this drive, but apparently one of the other drives had
corrupted data also (I was never able to indentify which one). I finally gave
up on week 3, reformatted and started reloading all my data.

If you check the readynas forums, I'm not the only one that has had a problem
like this. This is why I decided to run a single TB drive on win2k Server to
serve files, and keep hard copys and a readynas copy of all my videos. The raid
sounds great, but when it's not as redundant as you think - it sucks to find
out the hard way.

lopaka

Brian Weeden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: That's no good.  How did a power outage
corrupt the data?  Didn't the NAS
shut down?

I don't have backups of a lot of my data like TV shows and Photos - the RAID
IS my backup.  I know that's poor network design, but unless I can afford
twice the NAS I need it's all I've got.

-----
Brian Weeden
Technical Consultant
Secure World Foundation

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Robert Martin Jr.
wrote:

> Also, something to consider is that the readynas, although touted as a
> redundant data device is not without occasional catastrophic problems. I had
> a power outage that outlasted the UPS and data got corrupted beyond repair
> although none of the hard drives were flawed. My second 500GB drive had no
> partition data after the power outage and I was unable to recover it using
> various utilities on XPPE, Hirens Boot CD, etc. Luckily I had hard backups
> of about 80% of the movies and shows. I was 2 weeks from the end of my
> warranty and they upgraded me to the NV+ since the NV is no longer
> manufactured. It was assumed that the firmware was corrupted but when I
> received the NV+ and installed the drives, the same problem recurred and was
> not an issue with the nas, but a data loss on my drives. Neatgear will do
> data recovery in cases like this but is fee based and probably not cheap.
>
> lopaka
>
> Brian Weeden
 wrote: Right now I'm using the