-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Brian Weeden
Sent: 05 March 2008 15:14
To: hwg
Subject: [H] CPUs

Going to be buying the parts for a new PC next week and I'm pretty
psyched as I'm replacing an Athlon system I built 3-4  years ago and
have been upgrading piecemeal.  So I've got a 3000+ Athlon 64 running
on an nForce4 mobo.

After 6 months of research I am still debating over dual core vs quad
core.  I'm going to continue using my existing video card as it's
doing just fine and here's the rest of the parts list:

Mobo - Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP
PSU - OCZ Stealthstream 600W
RAM - 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
DVD - Samsung SH-S203B
Fans - 2x Scythe 120mm

So I'm debating between these two CPUs:
Q6600 Kentsfield (2.4 Ghz, Quadcore, 65nm)
E8400 Wolfsdale (3.0 Ghz, Dualcore, 45nm)

They are both within $20 in price so really it comes down to other
features.  I know that the majority of programs these days don't take
advantage of more than 2 cores (except for the multimedia big boys
like Photoshop and video encoders).  While I will be using the machine
for some A/V work, that won't be a common task.  More commonly it will
be for multitasking several programs at once under Windows XP for work
and then gaming.

The kicker is that I am getting rid of my HTPC and replacing it with a
NAS and the Popcorn Hour settop box.  The HTPC used to be my ripping,
encoding, burning, and downloading box which was nice because I could
offload those intensive (both time and horsepower) tasks to it and not
have it slow down my main PC that I use for work and gaming.  With it
going away, those tasks will now be done on my main PC.  I was
envisioning perhaps running 2 or 3 VMs at once doing all these various
tasks.  Anyone see problems with that under XP and the ability for
those VMs to use separate CPUs and RAM?  Or am I reaching too far and
is this something I can't do under XP?  I have several work programs
that are Windows only (along with games) which are the two reasons I
haven't gone to Ubuntu.

----
Brian

otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and
attachment from your system.  If you are not the intended recipient you must
not copy this message or attachment
or disclose the contents to any other person.
Incoming and outgoing email communications may be monitored by Clifford Chance,
as permitted by applicable
law and regulations.

For further information about Clifford Chance please see our website at
http://www.cliffordchance.com or refer
to any Clifford Chance office.

Clifford Chance LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England &
Wales under number OC323571.
The firm's registered office and principal place of business is at 10 Upper
Bank Street, London, E14 5JJ.
For further details, including a list of members and their professional
qualifications, see our website
at www.cliffordchance.com. The firm uses the word 'partner' to refer to a
member of Clifford Chance LLP or
an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications. The firm
is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
The Authority's rules can be accessed by clicking on the following link:
http://www.sra.org.uk/code-of-conduct.page