Had similar issues with some machines at work--namely, ultra-portable
laptops with slow hard drives. When Windows was resumed from standby, the
hard drives were taking a while to spin back up--and Windows was trying to
access them before they were ready and timing out. After a set number of
errors, Windows will set the drives to PIO mode, and no other change I tried
could re-enable DMA. I finally found this article that showed me where the
in the registry to reset the maximum allowable mode and how to modify the
system such that the error counter is reset to 0 after a success. Before,
the counter was never decremented or reset...it was always growing.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Note that you must be running SP2 for the reset-on-success modification to
function. I didn't use the VBScript referenced, I manually set the registry
values and rebooted the machine.

Greg