If you had an existing EXT 3 partition you should have
chosen the "manual" partitioning option during the
installation process. You would have been able to
select your existing partitions and set their mount
points as well as format the partition or leave the
existing data intact (with the exception of
overwritten files). The automated choices will either
wipe the whole disk or resize your partitions. Sounds
like you did the latter.

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 this past weekend to
dual-boot with Windows XP on my laptop. Seems pretty
good so far. Had some issues with the wireless card
but finally got it working with ndiswrapper.

I've got two 20gb partitions for windows (ntfs) and
ubuntu (ext3), 2gb linux swap partition, 100gb data
partition (fat32) and I also have a 5gb truecrypt
partition I can access from both systems.