Pressed between the mountains and the Pacific, and under assault from marine band interference,I am in a area that doesn't really have any decent over the air TV. Before cable came along in the sixties, we got 2 to 10 channels with large rooftop anttena and only one local channel with rabbit ears.

So HD over the air has never been an option for me. I have COX cable with an HD box. There is no QCAM support nor is their digital over cable without a convertor of some kind. I can record anything playing on the cable box with S-VIDEO using Line IN to a PC capture card for a very pristine result ... but it is not HD. This is the best way to record anything as I have yet to find a PC analog TV turner that does a decent job.

There are lots of new stand alone HD TV recording boxes on the market now, that allow you to record and archive HD broadcasts from your HD cable box, ... anybody have a recommendation ?....but is there anything around that will do it from your PC... or is it even worth the effort to do it that way anymore? It is best just to get a HD-DVR and transfer the files to your PC for archiving.

COX tells me that they will continue to support Analog for at least 3 years after the switch. However, if you buy a Hauppauge card with a digital tuner on it now, what does this mean exactly. I can't watch Digital cable now without a COX digital cable box... so will the Hauppauge digital tuner be able to replace the COX digital box once the switch takes place? Or is that just for over the air broadcasts?

BTW Opera 9.5 is out and it has some fantastic improvements