At 03:54 PM 9/22/2008, you wrote:
Received my HD PVR last Friday. Initial impressions are all good. Haven't
been able to get the ir blaster working (but only gave it a quick try) but
don't really plan on using it. Video quality is very good.

I bought one of these as well, but I haven't installed it yet. Right now it only gets 1080i ... not p, but that is what cable broadcasts. And it only does stereo, not surround. Hauppauge says a BIOS update will update the stereo to surround Dolby soon... I hope they can bring it up to 1080p with a BIOS flash as well.

What Hauppauge has done is taken advantage of a loophole in the DRM law. There is currently no provision for the area between the device... cable modem, and the PC using <component> cables... that is why it isn't using modern, and convenient HDMI cables. I decided to buy one before they plug that loophole!

The problem I forsee is that editing and transcoding the H.264 files takes FOREVER! I hope
I am missing something and any suggestions to speed things up would be
appreciated.

Encoding times have always been long. HD encoding is got to be really long. The only way to speed encoding up is with a faster processor... it is all about number crunching. I have been in the habit of doing this on a dedicated machine, and mostly over night.

I am using the HD PVR with SageTV and SiliconDust HDHomerun (for local QAM
channels). I love the setup. Purchased an Electoline DropAmp ( EDA-FT08100)
for all the coax cables (TVs, capture cards,PVR, etc.) Seems to work like a
charm.

Good to hear that it works.

As long as comcast doesn't start encrypting the local QAM channels this is a
great setup.

If by local you mean the big networks that broadcast over the air... then that would be in violation of Federal law.