I found a BIOS update for my mobo and applied i t, then reset the CMOS
on the PC.  Now the problem is even worse - it hangs for several
minutes on a blank screen after the DMI update and then loads Vista.
Once it gets past that it works fine.

I've hit the boot drive with every HD utility I can think of and it
all check out just fine.  But I might just replace it anyways and see
if that helps.

---
Brian