>From what I can tell the crashing is all about the fan issue I mentioned
which is causing the overheating and crashing.  And yes, it is a faulty
driver.

There are hacks to fix it while waiting for the next Catalyst driver update
on 15 July:

http://nwgat.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/ati-radeon-hd-4870-4850-fanfix/
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4272339#post4272339
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2751569#post2751569