Hello,

        Have a guy that brought in his Wal-Mart sold HP/Crapaq laptop.
He tells me he was surfing pr0n and got a message that his system was
infected and he just shut down his system and called me. I asked him
if this was possibly a pop up ad and he doesn't think it was. However,
he doesn't know if the AV was working or even current. The system is
around 6 - 7 months old. It has Vista Home Premium OEM on the COA.
       I took the drive out and tried to access it and as soon as
Windows explorer tries to access it asks me to format it. I am using
Win2K Pro to do this but last I knew Vista had WinFS left out so I
assume it uses NTFS or at least FAT32. So I should be able to read it.
I can only assume the drive got wiped out. The problem now is he
didn't get any discs with it and since the drive is wiped out the
recovery partition is also gone. I would try to recover the file
system but I am thinking maybe it would be better to start from
scratch. I had never seen this kind of damage from a infection though
but he denies any other issues with the unit, no grinding noises to
make me suspect HDD issues.
     Since I only have a copy of Vista Business upgrade (ala MAPS) I
guess all I can do is ask for a recovery disc from HP/Crapaq?

--
Regards,
 joeuser - Still looking for the 'any' key...