Any *nix based appliance router is going to have the same features & capabilities assuming:

1. Software exists
2. sufficient RAM & ROM
3. powerful enough CPU

What's made the linksys 54's and similar hardware from other vendors so popular that they have enough of all 3 for home or soho bandwidth levels.

Soren wrote:
Not yet, but I've set up a few of the 54 models for friends.

My reason for a stand alone system for firewalling, is that with my current solution, I've had absolutely zero spam, trojans, spyware, and what have we - for years. And I'd very much like to keep it that way.

I'll check out the alternative firmwares, there might be something interesting. Thanks.

Best,
Soren