We have both.  If I could chose just 1 it would be the ps3.  Here's why:

(1). Xbox live costs.  And you can't play online without it.  Ps3 network?
Free.

(2). I've had 2 xbox's die (once red ring, once the two red light hsf failure).
Ms warranty policy?  One bite at the apple.  After that $99.

(3). Media.   Sony connects to any network share, plays divx/xvid, and will
scan linux and other shares also.  Microsoft's media center extender in xbox360
is cool... Except no divx support!  (Divx doesn't work over the extender
function, only shares) unless you use something like transcode 360.

(4) Sony's online store is infinitely safer and better then xboxlive.  Xbox
saves your cc info and autobills as needed.  Ps3 you enter a card and pay in.
Benefit?  Wait until you've found a kid spend $200 on xbox live because ms had
the card on file.  Sony's purchasing system is also in the more informative
'dollars' vs microsoft's ridiculous 'points' system.

(5). Sony allows save game files and data to be shared.  Want to see hidden
levels or share save points?  Email them to a sony user.  Ms save game data
exists only in a user profile and can't move outside of it.  Play a game in the
wrong account and then want to play later fixed?   Can't on xbox.

(6). Hard drives.  Want a bigger hdd on your ps3?  Go grab any standard laptop
sata.  Cheap.  Microsoft?  Pay $200 for a goofball hdd 120gb slapped in a
container.

(7). Nothing beats pixeljunk.

(8). Even on its best behavior an xbox sounds like a constantly running
dustbuster on a low setting. Ps3?  So quiet you don't notice.