I've had better luck with PATA adapters based on Silicon Image's 0680A
chipset.

I wish I could get rid of all my PATA drives, but I still have several TB's
worth of them...enough capacity to still care about. :(

Rosewill-branded card based on SiI0680A:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132005