FWIW, not looking terribly hard for the cheapest, I ordered several WD Caviars ~500GB today for $60:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

Scott

On Nov 21, 2008, at 5:24 PM, James Boswell wrote:

Whilst it just about makes sense to press the PATA harddisks into service with convertors, given the cost of replacement disks (they're more than I thought actually, newegg have _80GB_ disks for $40 ! wth! that's hilarious since a few months ago I remember seeing 1 terabyte Samsung F1's for $115 or so)

$19.99 for a SATA/PATA convertor for an optical drive...

or $21.99 for a native SATA Optical drive?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136149

I can't really form a case for the convertor in that instance, especially with the extra point of failure they add to the equation

-JB